Friday, April 24, 2009

That old lamp

I recently have been released from my job duties at the church I have been a part of for over 5 years.  With anger and disappointment I have been seeking an answer as to why this happened or why my own Pastor didn't have the gall to talk to me about so called "personal hurts" he has against me.  

So disappointed with him.  He prayed with us when our child was born at the hospital, he dedicated her in front of the church, we became members of the congregation and God's household of faith; we, thru the nudging of the Holy Spirit, found our way back to the church and a relationship with Jesus Christ. Today, I have found that reason thru reading a daily devotional by Oswald Chambers "the Light That Never Fails".  This was a devotion for April 22nd, the day I was fired, what are the odd of that you ask?  I say, 100%!! 

My take away:

The "light" I had been trusting and allowing to lead me to God was a fading light I just couldn't unplug it & throw it away, I knew it had some life left & wasn't willing to give up on it.  I tried, believe me I tried.  I would just squint a little more and a little more.  I tried turing on other lights to illuminate what I wanted to see.  Moving the light away from the shadows I didn't want to see.  Tried different bulbs, shades and plugs.  But nothing was working, the light blew out and all that was left was darkness.  

I now see, God had unplugged it for me, because He wants me to make Him the Light of my life, not put my faith or trust in a relationship with mortals.  "A Christian servant is one who perpetually looks into the face of God and then goes forth to talk to others.  The ministry of Christ is characterized by an abiding glory of which the servant is totally unaware".  Pretty good reality check I say.

Oswald Chambers also says that "the secret of the servant's life is that he stays in tune with God ALL the time" not some of the time, not along with being in tune with a Pastor or church.  Faith & trust must be put in Jesus Christ first, everything else will fall into place.

I want to thank my husband Dave, for being a rock for me and being the spiritual leader of our home, he is a true example of a Christ Follower and I love him!  Also, John Donahue, words do can not describe the thankfulness I have for God putting you and Sarah-Irene in our lives, thank you for listening to Him and showing us what a real relationship with God can be.

"We walk by faith, not by sight" - 2 Corinthians 5:7

2 comments:

guitarguy said...

Babe, I'm so glad you have been able to see where God is in this, and I am stoked just thinking about looking for His will and direction for our lives. It's sad but amazingly true that sometimes we have to leave the church building,institution, etc. to experience a deep spiritual movement. I know you are the one woman on this earth for me to partner with and pursue God with. He is so good to me!!!!

Sarah-Irene said...

Your light is too bright for anyone to extinguish. The firehose that was aimed at you was merely a distraction. Your ministry is not in your job or in what church you go to but in how people see Christ in you. This is an awsome response to a heart breaking situation. Way to go!! I love you.